So after updating to 14.2 (64), I discovered that my default audio device was set to Nvidia HDMI. This is not what I want. I actually have a Sabretech 7.1 USB sound card, which I use to connect to my receiver via S/PDIF.
Sound was working correctly in Deadbeef (where you can manually set your soundcard in the application preferences), however that was the only application working as expected.
First, I went to the wiki and followed the instructions in the following article,"Sound problems in Sackware." As mentioned in the article, I added the following options in /etc/asound.conf:
# By default, redirect to PulseAudio:
Note: the first two lines redirecting to pulse were already there. I decided to comment them out, since I don't want to use pulse audio.
Finally I stumbled up the following blog post. This basically explains that the Nvidia sound module depends on an Intel module being loaded--specifically, snd_hda_intel.
Upon checking lsmod, I confirmed that the snd_hda_intel module was indeed being loaded. I added an entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf to blacklist the module:
Finally after rebooting, my sound was working as expected!